Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Haulin' It

Although I'm pretty good with daily updates, I will admit that I've been slacking the last few days.  Its been hectic.  I will most likely do a few posts in a row today to make up for it. 

That being said, I wanted to supplement my review below on the ShoeDazzle shoes I received on Friday.  I wore them out on Saturday night for drinks with the hubbs and some friends and I actually walked home about 4 blocks from where we were so I really got a full night's wear out of the shoes.

I'd give these shoes a B+ for comfortability - the basket weave texture of the shoe is the same on the inside so it does rub a little bit on the back of the ankle but nothing that the band aid rub stick doesn't cure.  They are actually quite easy to walk in despite the very thin and tall heel.  I received a few compliments throughout the night on their uniqueness, I definitely think the shoe has an 'acquired taste' but they look smokin hot on! I'd recommend these shoes if it is a look you're going for (and by the way, the shoe retails for nearly $60 online, but like I said in the post below, I joined ShoeDazzle and got them for $39.95 + free shipping).  I have a code for 20% off your first pair if I invite you as a current member; as well, I'll get a free pair after 3 friends sign up.  Leave your email in the comments if you want the link!

Separately, I wanted to share a fitness myth I discovered over the weekend. I find it very important to get my health & fitness information from a reputable source.  I do listen to people at the gym, friends or family if they offer advice but I always research the advice to ensure it is correct.  I'm sure we've all been told that you can target weight gain on specific parts of the body by doing exercises that target those areas so basically, if you have a flabby midsection you do crunches, if you have bingo arms you do tricep extensions, etc.  - makes sense right?

Well no, its wrong.  The concept is called "spot training" and unfortunately it doesn't burn fat.  When you lose weight you are unable to choose the area in which the reduction will occur.  Your body predetermines which fat stores it will use. Like I said, doing crunches with strengthen your abdominal muscles (no doubt about that) but it will not take the fat off of your stomach only.  However, you can compliment a blanced exercise program with a selection of weight training exercises to gradually lose weight and tone the body overall.

And remember...you need to burn 3,500 calories in order to lose 1 lb.  That's 500 calories per day.  So if you cut back your typical daily caloric intake by 250 and then burn 250 calories in the gym, you will lose 1 lb. per week. Aim for 3-4 days of cardio per week and the fat will melt away!!

Helpful resources:
BMI Calculator
Calculating your basal metabolic rate (the number of calories per day that your own body burns naturally)

Thanks for reading, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment