Thursday, March 25, 2010

Health & Fitness - Recipe Share

I'm trying to get re-motivated at the gym through an aggressive workout program.  I figured if I promised myself I'd attend certain classes I would have a much better chance following through than if I was just promising to attend the gym at some point.  I like taking classes because they are on a set schedule and for me, it is a good way to keep it interesting.  It avoids wasted time trying to figure out what to do each day, you just show up/listen to someone and leave.  I find that you tend to make good gym friends at the classes as well and they're always great motivation! So here's my aggressive schedule for the next week:
  • Thursday - Kickboxing from 5pm to 6pm
  • Saturday - Body Pump from 9:15am-10:15amMonday - Body Pump from 5pm-6pm
  • Tuesday - Pilates from 6:15-7:15pm
  • Wednesday - Body Pump from 6:15-7:15pm
I'll follow this schedule week to week for the next 8 weeks which will bring us to Memorial Day weekend.  I know I will have a much more difficult time maintaining a 5 day/per week gym schedule in the summer since the booger will always want to play outside so I will more than likely go down to 2-3 days per week then. 

So on to the health side, I have decided to give up desserts.  This is an area that I struggle with consistantly.  I cannot seem to resist ice crea, tiramisu, brownies, you name it.  And I know this is reeking havoc on my midsection.  I have extreme difficulty refusing chocolate of any sort and any sweet for that matter so I have made a conscientious decision to give it up completely - as I did meat (which I'm still going strong).  We'll see how this goes.

disclaimer: Rita's Italian Ice does NOT count as a dessert - especially considering it is fat/trans fat/cholesterol free

And in the good spirit of health and fitness, I'm sharing a very yummy and VERY simple concotion that I personally L-O-V-E...mind you, this "recipe" is for 1 serving (because hubbs and booger do not eat fish I usually cook this for moi only)...again, sooooo easy

Ingredients:

--1 Fresh Mahi Mahi filet (or whichever white fish you have handy - mahi mahi is just really good)

--Birds Eye brand Steamfresh bag of Whole Grain Rice (10 oz.)

  










--Birds Eye brand Steamfresh bag of Peas (the package you want is the one that comes with 4 individual serving bags - use one bag for this "recipe")





















--Fresh Salsa...like this (which is basically some chopped up tomatoes, jalapenos, red onions, lime juice, cilantro) luckily for me for $4.99 you can pick up a container of this already done for you it's called "Fresh Salsa" lol


--EVOO

--Balsamic Vinegarette (I highly recommend the Good Seasons 'make your own' version because it is beyond good and you can sub half the amount of oil for more water/more balsamic for a less fat version)

--this yummy delish perfection seasoning: McCormick's Perfect Pinch Lemon Pepper - or any Lemon Pepper seasoning (even the ones from the dollar store work great)

And for the easiness:

  1. Cook the rice as directed on the package (in the microwave...oh yeah)

  2. Cook one serving of the peas as directed on the package (in the microwave...oh yeah again) 

  3. Heat up a skillet so that its pretty damn hot and add a little EVOO

  4. While that's heating up, rub a little EVOO on the mahi mahi and sprinkle some of that yummy seasoning on it (rubbing it in) and do this on each side, coating it generously

  5. Put the filet on the heated skillet and cook on each side basically until its seared and cooked most of the way (approx 4 minutes on each side)
  6. Add half the rice and the entire bag of peas and drizzle with the yummy bals vinegarette dressing (drizzle, DONT drench) and basically cut up the fish filet with a spatula so that's its flaky and combed through
  7. Plate the dish and throw a few tablespoons of the fresh salsa mix on top -- VOILA!!!
There you go - a super yummy and ridiculously easy 'recipe' courtesy of Maria ;)

1 comment:

  1. oooohh- i'm loving your new look! I love this post! You and Fit for Fashion are really doing wonderful things on the health front- if only I wasn't so lazy- ugh... I'm gonna actually print this post and try to follow it as best I can- for me, it's about ease and unfussiness- you offer a lot of great tips here that are easy to work into an very busy schedule! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete