Thursday, February 25, 2010

KWEENO, KICKBOXING AND ANN TAYLOR

Quinoa (pronounced kwee-no) -- a fabulous nutritional grain, cereal like.  Nutritionally MUCH better than even brown rice.  It's protein content is unusually high (12-18%) and unlike rice it contains a very balanced set of essential amino acids for humans which again, makes it a complete protein source.  A great source of dietary fiber, gluten free and easy to digest.  To make quinoa, you have to first soak the grains in hot water for a good 5 minutes in order to remove the bitter outer coating called saponins after soaking you will drain all the water (using a mesh strainer if you have one as the grains are very small) you then cook to a rolling boil and once boiling, cover with a tight lid and let simmer for 15 minutes.  After same, take the pot off the heat (still covered) for 5 minutes, fluff with fork after and you're set. 

I had this with my dinner last night and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at both the taste and the texture.  Now, when I boiled it I substituted the water for chicken broth and there are TONS of tasty recipes online.  Try it.
This is what the uncooked quinoa looks like...similar to pastina if you've ever had that. 

I found THIS great recipe that I'm going to have for lunch today.



On to other news, SURPRISE its snowing again today! Shocker.  I mean, when is it going to stop already? I have 3 ready to pop pregnant friends and I don't believe that a blizzard is very good 'I'm on my way to the hospital' weather.  So enough already.

I'm taking a kickboxing class tonight at 5pm (will probably get my own butt kicked) but will let you know how it goes.  I cannot say enough how much I really loved that pilates class on Tuesday...my abs are still burning! I know if I continue to take the class each week I'll definitely see an improvement.  I'm hoping they add a 2nd convenient class that I can take.  I've decided that Mon, Wed, Fri I'll do the 6am gym and Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll take a class at night.  Will keep you updated on my progress!

I know this post hasn't been tooo exciting but I just had to share my excitement for this new food as well as the fitness updates!  For my fashion and beauty segment today, I'm going to share my rant about Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft.  Let me start by saying this is one store I always looked at as an 'older' store - I always thought it was a store that women in their late 30's and early 40's shopped at to look somewhat cute and on trend.  I was a very sadly mistaken young girl when I thought this.  The oh-so-adorable Chloe at Chloe's Conspiracy has me HOOKED on Ann Taylor. 

However, my dears, I very quickly came to shocking revelation #1 - I cannot afford to shop at this store, not even on sale I mean, some stuff has ok prices, $39.99 isn't bad for a nice cardigan but $128 for a statement necklace or $88 for a shell? 
They just have the most adorable, feminine, gorgeous pieces of everything - they have very cute jewelry and their ruffly, flowery, girly colored tops are to die for.  Here is my "want list" of Ann Taylor items that if anyone really loved me lots would get for me!! btw my B-diddy is 12/31, my Anniversary is 7/25,  Christmas is ALWAYS 12/25 and Easter this year is 4/4...K thanks, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment